July brings long & warm days that are perfect for puttering in the garden, enjoying your beds and borders as they are at their best.
Here are our Top 10 July gardening tips to keep your garden thriving:
- Water your garden in the evening to minimise losses from evaporation.
- If hot weather set your mower blades high to give a more extended, cut and avoid putting lawns under further stress.
- Feed actively growing plants regularly using a high potash food for fruiting & ﬂowering plants.
- Keep deadheading bedding and perennial plants to stop them self-seeding and to encourage new blooms.
- Cut oﬀ old foliage when strawberries have finished fruiting.
- Prune wisteria removing of the current year’s growth to five or six leaves after flowering.
- Prune your plum, apricot, peach and cherry trees now. It reduces the risk of silver leaf disease.
- Clear weeds regularly, as they compete with your plants for nutrients and water. It is good time to spray ground elder, bindweed and other persistent weeds with a glyphosate-based weed killer.
- Spray roses with a pesticide & fungicide to avoid pests and diseases.
- Make sure wild birds have water in dry weather.